The majority of #mainstreaming#openweb tech projects have the assumption that human nature is a fixed thing and that every project has to be built in reaction to the 40 years of neo-liberal #deathcult that we all live in now as this is the “only” human nature visible. They completely miss/ignorer the social nature of people in groups in this look back at the 20th century, and we have clearly different views of human nature as examples to build society. Call it social democracy, call it communism, call it what you like. We DO NOT have to build tools in relation to the #deathcult, and we clearly should not base “hope” on tools that are built in this relation.
Mastodon, activertypub and the fedivers took a small #stepaway from this mess. The #OMN takes the next step away. For the rest #compost and #shovels come to mind.
Q. under what circumstances Tor can handle streaming video?
A. What Tor can’t handle is lots of people consuming lots of bandwidth simultaneously. There’s no clean way to load balance and everyone is at the mercy of independent relays.
A. We’ve been saying for years not to run BitTorrent over Tor, because the Tor network can’t handle the load
Interesting most people talk about security/privacy and only respect for the commons as an afterthought – this is clearly a #geekproblem
Q. I2P is run by volunteers and encourages the sharing of videos. The internet is a Commons and depends on trust, not just Tor. ISPs have Fair Use policies etc. If not Tor maybe this person can share over I2P.
A. This one kinda fails one of the #4opens – open “industrial” standards. Only people who went through the process of installing bad UX code could watch the videos so not a good outreach project. The is a resion we are building out a OPEN media network. Worth thinking about this issue “It easy to keep crossing wires with “media” vs. personal. Media should be open, with clear sources, except when protecting them. Whereas personal data should default to private”
The world is full of well shitty people… this is not surprising as we have lived in a sewage outlet for more than 40 years, to be covered in shit is human. What is not human is to go along with #stupidindividualism to play #fashionista agenders. Make judgments for social good, don’t go with the flow as it’s a sewer. You do need a shovel #OMN
The #OMN project is more important for what it does not do. The is a core/ perfiery outlook, more than 99% of peoples input from mainstream tech culture is clearly coming from the perfery for the human centred workflow of the #OMN Our mission is to shift through the tech pile and find the 1% that is core to the human project. Avoid getting lost in the stinky, shiny, fashions that the majority push.
For the January meeting am interested in looking in detail at #activertypub (and the new tech around it) as we should have a wider outline of the social #OMN project by then and have an urgent need to find technology that fits into it. Good focus for this meeting. Of course everyone is welcome.
This should lead to working on the next codebase of the #indymediaback project.
#peertube project is fantastic BUT people have been talking about moderation since before the project started. Have a look back over the “closed” issues on their git dev site. Maybe re-open some of these as a step.
The is an unspoken open/closed debate in tech. #framasoft are building an open tool #peertube with closed moderation backend – we have a shitty mess in most peertube instances is this cross development. They don’t understand it’s an issue.
With the #OMN we setout to address the open/closed debate at source its what the project is for.
Some talk on a related issue https://github.com/Chocobozzz/PeerTube/issues/3488
Looking at this very simply they are two pools of data – trusted and moderated
– the trusted data is displayed on the site and flows out from the site as feeds.
– the moderated is displayed on a back end moderation/draft feed the mods of the site get to decide what to do with this content, to add it to trusted, to leave in draft/mod for consensus, to remove it.
The content that is trusted is unedited, though the long tail of metadata can be edited and updated by mods.
Newswire and features (and optional individual flows based on user accounts)
* The first main flow, newswire, is made up of a number of sources
– user accounts from this instance (if turned on) based on roles defined by the #5functions.
– boolean logic tag created #activertypub or RSS feed – there should be #5functions on both ends of this flow in the best implementation – we can live with one end. These feeds are added by the mods of the site to allow a local network of publishing sites to be created and nurtured
* The features is a feed for storeys created from the resources published to the newswire, linking back to them. The flow is original content published as a feature by the mod crew based on #5F if its in moderation it is treated as a draft not yet reach consensus if it is trusted it appears on the page and flow feed. This feed is a prime news resource to other newswires of indymedia sites that subscribe to it.
As a core coder your mission is to build pipes that carry data flows. Then your mission is to build 5 function connectors on the ends of the pipes. Then to build holding tanks, databases, that store the content of the flow.
In each “holding tank” the data soup has to be in sync with other holding tanks that have a pipe connecting them – this syncing is moderated by the switching of the #5function connectors on the end of each pipe.
This is the core coding project.
Where are we at:
* The pipes are activertypub/RSS and perhaps odata so this part is already defined.
* the holding tank is any database we care to use.
* the #5functions end connector is the part we have to implement
* the sync function is something that needs thinking about – it can come from the feed speck/the database function or…
To sum up we have the pipes, the holding tank, we need to build the 5 function end connector, and we have to think about the sync function.
Report back on peertube/youtube video posting experiment. #XR video posted only to peertube got 18 views in 48 hours. Video posted only to youtube got 26 views in 24 hours so far. Both videos were nice fluffy #XR shared widely in meany #dotcons groups with 1-10k subscribers so in theory to 20-50k people based on “simple” subscription count.
Posted to peertube
Posted to youtube
Let’s look back for a moment. Last year posting similar video you #youtube would have received 100-250 views
10 years ago 2000-4000 views would be normal.
Thoughts on this the #dotcons algorithm affectively #BLOCK straight grassroots video reports – only by shaping your media to #SEO games can you get any views in the #dotcons. This behaviour has shifted popular radical messages/media makers to #deathcult agenders to have any hope of achieving personal “success” and will continue to malform our media if there is no working alternatives for them to use.
I think our “digital addictions” explains the failure of the videos to organically spread inside the #dotcons with views not being feed by the algorithms which prefers #clickbate and people have been trained to push #clickbate so no longer see the need to push straight content – “vanilla” radical grassroots content does not feed their digital addictions or the hole mainstream culture leaves inside us all.
On one hand, if we keep going down the #dotcons path our media will become more and more malformed to #deathcult agender simply to get views and attention. on the other “straight” grassroots coverage will be affectively BLOCKED.
A note here for the #fashionistas “Gaming” the algorithms is just SEO under a new path. Let’s worship the “cargo cult” mentality and not a helpful comment/reply please have a think on this point.
For the last 10 years I have been pushing anti-algorithm content to amplify the exclusion affect. Looking at these numbers I think we are starting to get peek exclusion as our visionontv youtube channel has 7k subscribers so to get only 26 views in 24 hours is notable bad, just on this subscribe base not to mention the #failbook groups embed postings etc.
Talking about the #deathcult is not advertising friendly no matter how fluffy some of your content is 🙂
To conclude. Two points for #openweb media we need to remove “advertising friendly” as criteria. Second we need to actively detox people from their digital addictions. We do the first one, but we have no real plan/implementation/ideas on the second.
The #OMN has PGA and #4opens as concrete foundations, so we have firm ground to build the second needed part down the line.
Yes. Lots of #NGO’sh people will want to add “common sense” #dotcons ideas and process to #openweb projects as they take off. There will be a pile of shit shovelling need to get past this “common sense” issue. We need good shovels #OMN
The reason we are building out the wide #OMN network to provide a space for our messages and to make compost out of our current shit pile;)
UPDATE: the youtube video got to 42 views in 2 days the peertube stayed at 19 views both are very poor numbers but the #openweb one is growing and the #dotcons one visible declining which is positive.
1) One of the main ones is co-option by #NGO agender, both, by organizations who push for “common sense” #dotcons paths and individuals who strive to build their careers by trampling over the grassroots horizontality.
2) Second, I know a lot of people who would fuck over the future for petty personal grudges and narrow self subsistence. It’s a problem with rolling out positive grassroots projects like #indymediaback that we need to actively mediate for a good outcome.It’s interesting to think about this at a small personal scale and the wider social issue of #stupidindividualism and the #deathcult that breeds this.
3) Third, let me say something unfashionable, am a fan of liberals, they created meany of the good social things in the world. BUT Intolerant and dogmatic liberals are a constant drain, pushing of “common sense” agender over every issue they touch. This shit smeared problem needs constant mediation.
4) Fourth, the #geekproblem which is looked at in other posts on this blog – click on the hashtag to find them.
5) There are more please comment so i can add them.