Open letter to 4 alt/grasssroots media groups about the openweb
DRAFT (please comment)
Building up alt/grassroots media would be nice to get a reply :)
Good to get a reply about this project from you.
OMN is a network of Open Media Sites. Its a push to #reboot the openweb that most “value” you currently use has been built upon in the last 20 years. Your careers were built on the destruction of the digital commons its time to pay this back. The cost to your career is light and the openweb can and should be run in parallel to your current use of the #dotcon distribution.
The currency (value) of the web is the link without linking content (no matter how good) has little/no value online and will likely not be seen offline.
Left wing and progressive sites DO NOT LINK and share content with each other. This leads them to have little or no value outside the bubble/echo chambers. And we are surprised and depressed when we keep looseing, there is nothing surprising about this, but there is something depressing about it.
Why is the OMN different to all the other activist tech failed projects.
The top 5:
1) It's based on the #4opens, meaning it doesn't have the buy-in (sell out) issue of NGO's and dotcons and can spread as wildly as the original world wide web (www) if people start to use/build it out.
2) It's KISS, that is simple and standards based, so open to be built-out in unseen directions and open to wide creativity. It galvanises and empowers openweb projects.
3) It's not under the control of one group and is a “universal/standard based so can build and link many niches to link and thus build a real alternative.
4) It solidifies a morality of co-operation and trust rather than fear and compation. Its left wing rather than right wing. All current projects are products of right wing thinking in structure and expectations.
5) It gives the tech/grassroots #fashionista's something useful to do and promote at their events. Its hard to express the pointlessness of all the current alt-tech.
reply from one of the alt-media/grassroots groups
Aren't “existing” doing this anyway, linking all media groups together? Afraid I'm not techie enough to understand what OMN is, how it's different, or any of the points you've made, but I'm happy to go along with what everyone else decides if it can be explained in plain English!
We have done some "user story’s" https://github.com/Openmedianetwork/OMN/wiki/user-storys hope this helps get away from the tech :)
This is a part list of current working roll-out https://github.com/tomspost/OMN/wiki your content already appears as links on all these sites as you post it.
All current successful projects are networks or in the case of the #dotcon social networks (closed) sudo networks.
Currently the OMN is the only bud of a network we have in place in the alt/progressive.
What dues the OMN mean for the your org
Nothing has to change in what you do if you don’t want to do more.
To be part of the network you add a easy OMN sidebar/section/page to your existing site with the content flow you are interested in from any OMN site. You control what appears on your site.
At the moment the is just the one/first that covers the best of grassroots media from a UK and a bit of globle news focus so use that one http://omn.openworlds.info:8080
That’s it, you can do more if you like but don’t have to.
What this means is that your site will link and share content with other grassroots/alt media sites on there sidebar/section/pages.
Your content as you publish it on your site will appear (you do not have to do anything for this to work) on many other OMN sidebars/sections/pages on other sites and blogs.
It will play a role in “aggregating” the viewership of alt-media, everyone gains from this.
What we are talking about is building expanding distribution outside Facebook/twitter. You can, and should continue to use Facebook etc. what the OMN dues is start to build independent and horizontal alternative that run/expands in parallel, its working now and easy to use.
Am more than happy to help set-up the embeds in your website, will likely take 20 min.
Just in case you are worried about security of your site all scripting is striped from the articles and links and the embed is a standard plug-in that comes from the dotcon markets that 1000's of people have been using for years with out any issues.
Its mature and safe tech that just works.
Ps. if this outreach duse not work its looking like time for a bit of a kicking.... phwww..... crap.
You do all know that posting polatics on #failbook is a pointless circle of nothingness
You do all know that posting polatics on #failbook is a pointless circle of nothingness. Please stop and do something more usefull.
We have a clective Liberal fantasy in the is an idea that #dotcon can be social useful. Its not what the money (billions) was invested in. They "invested" into a silo/portal for capturing data and capturing users. Letting this "value" free is a liberal delusion in the sense it dues not payback for investment. Your talking an act of enlighten philanthropy or old fashioned nationalization to keep the value for the people who created it - the users.
We now have a problem that most of our best alt media producers are children of the #dotcon and have little or no understanding of the #openweb We need to express positive views of value. #linking #4opens etc all very basic stuff and not hard to do. I wont practical open ideas on were to start on this.
Why do I call Facebook a #dotcon
Our current online tools (for example Facebook) were built out from the worst parts of human nature. The challenge facing us is can we build out tools from the best part of human nature (an example would be the OMN) I think this is a nice challenge to have.
Why do I call Facebook a #dotcon
Its interesting to think about what shapes the small part of the social flow you see on #failbook and see how other agenda’s dominate what you see as a personal experience.
1) The financial bottom line of the corporation "Facebook"
2) The ego of the CEO and heads of engineering and marketing at Facebook.
3) The agenda’s of the investors in Facebook – this includes front company’s for the intelligence services of the US and many very rich people.
4) The agenda of the advertisers that pay Facebooks bills. The agenda’s that all the above do not wont to push – this is semantically hidden by "we cant sell adverts next to your content". That is “this is not social engineering”.
5) Anything published outside Facebook silo/portal is pushed down and things published inside Facebooks walls are pushed up. An example of this is that Youtube videos are not always embedded any-more and that #failbook videos are and auto play.
6) The people you friend on Facebook. But this is not unmediated the people who are a better fit to the first 5 points will be pushed more visible than thoughts who do not, who will be pushed down out of view.
7) Your likes and interactions will help the algorithm choice from the "advert friendly content" in your wider feed and push these posts into your news feed.
8) Facebook is clever evil, the algorithm is elastic, you can push it and it will bend. Of course evil cleaver wants you to do this because it learns how you push and how to push you back to shape the above first 5 points.
9) Clever Evil 2 that Facebook will also push though content that it cannot necessary monetize but has the intent to addict you to taking the phone out of your pocket to check every spare moment.
10) Its not only about cats and family photos it about reshaping the world so that Trump and Brexet can happen and we are powerless to do anything about this. All we can do is empower the enemy by feeding it knowledge on how to empower Trumps and Brixets. Shake and repeat, shake and repeat, shake and repeat, shake and repeat.
Trump was chosen and elected by this internet/web and more will grow from the #dotcons
To escape our silo thinking
“A river that needs crossing political and tech culture - On the political side, the is arrogance and ignorance, on the Geek side the is naivety and over- complexity”
What am highlighting here, Geeks think this is to simple to think about, the politicos have no understanding of this. Both are happy with silos as it gives them “total control” of there tiny things. These isolated siloed islands are no match for the continents that the dotcons control. The issue here is that nobody cares for the big thing that all these tiny things grow from, this big thing “the open internet” is withered from neglect. The shrinking “open internet” is further perverted by political legislation and Dotcon grasping/enclosing it becomes a ghost of its old self.
Thinking to escape this sad and bad fate.
The web is made of links:
* Articles are just data objects
* Data flows
* Feeds are living links to move data object flows
* The link is were the value is (google learned this a long time ago)
* Synchronisation and redundancy of data is key to resilience and remembering the past links (value)
This is hard for the politicos to hear, but, content is just something to link to.
This simple thinking is held safe by the 4 opens.
The is a small resurgence of alt-media projects (such as LINKS ) but each of them is a silo and will likely flower and fade.
Where is alt-media and what are the issues in geek culture that stop it from having much effect.
There is no active working alt-tech and the open web that would be shaped by this open alt-tech is withering under the #dotcon push to enclose.
* 98.9% of alt-tech projects are obviously pointless.
* 1% are potentially useful but are killed by NGO/foundation funding agendas.
* .01% are useful but suffer/starve from a lack of geek focus abd funding.
There are some content projects in alt-media, but they have no working alt-tech to build out. All alt media relies on the #dotcons (Facebook, twitter etc) as distribution. Their websites are generally little more than branded portals, much like yahoo 10-15 years ago. The is minimal inter-operating between the different projects and almost no linking.
For the content producers a positive “alt-media” outcome is to play a role in old (legacey) media or move into the short lived dotcon news orgs. This is a complete failure in open web terms. In this we are fucked, and there is currently no path out within the existing projects.
Outside the existing projects, the solution to this is simple: the tech needs rebooting at a basic level. This is not a complex thing, being mostly social technology using existing open standards.