Stalled roll out of OMN
How to move on with alt/grassroots media producers linking to each other? Currently the shamelessly do not do this, even though they have repeatedly stated they do over the last 5 years.
1) Keep private messaging them on steps they can take, this works to an extent, as asked them to add more tags to their posts and they “broke” the User Interface on the #OMN software we are using by adding lots more – which is a good problem to have :)
2) Publicly talk to them as a alt/grassroots media group in blog post and their social media – this currently has little affect.
3) Talk to them in public as producer groups – this has had a limited affect with some of the groups, will try this more.
4) Public talk to them as individual's, this will generally get a private response and little action just words so far.
5) Name them as groups who do not link/share in public, this might be needed for some of the groups.
6) Name them as individuals within the producer groups and push for linking directly to them in public, name and point to the individual that this is a clear #fail a last stage.
Its a shame that this escalation is needed - linking is a clear path to success on the web – the right-wing blogs/producers do this, its a blank faced #fail that the left/progressive do not now and generally never have.
“Make the world you wont to see” LINKING is a strong path to this.
Looking for helpful/happy people to crowed source the active conversation to make this happen.
Lets start with these groups.
A first step to reboot alt/grassroots media
A first step to reboot alt/grassroots media land an update on were we are on the OMN (open media network) linking project.
* The is a node/site up http://omn.openworlds.info:8080/
* This currently has 10 embeds https://github.com/tomspost/OMN/wiki on sites as a soft roll out
* we are aiming to expand this out to 100 sites over the summer for the hard launch
We bring good content in and push it out as links on site sidebars/sections on these sites. To make this work better the producer sites need to add more subject tags to posts as embedding sites can use these to display content flows they like ie. the more tags the more shared views for producer sites.
For a lose time scale of the project http://bit.ly/2mUDA3f
Howto use the OMN
This is a first step of a longer project.
1) You can click on the RSS feed button to get a news river for your site, this will link to articles from all the feeds in the node/site.
2) If you are interested in only some subjects or groups click on group tags (with @ in front) and/or subject tags. You can chose as many as you like and then only these will show up in your river embed. Then click the RSS link.
3) Take the URL of the RSS feed, in the new window that opens. Go to your CMS/site/blog and install a RSS display/widget and add the RSS URL to it. You can use the formatting options to change the number of items and what info to display.
That’s it for now.
Your site is now a part of a open alt/grassroots media network. Planing a role in linking up and cooperating to build a progressive world view. To empower people to build a better world.
Building a alt/grassrots media network
The OMN rollout is a 10 step process
Rollout a single node to link alt media and share content to 100 sites.
Rollout full social taging flows and start the offline backup, start to move away from the dotcons.
The openweb grows into the semantic web, the dotcons become history.
* This could take a year with support and full on effort
* 2 years with interest and some geek commitment
* 5 years with active BLOCKING and geek’s turning away and doing something “better”.
* It will FAIL if the alt/grassroots groups don't links to each other and each tries/pushes to be the “one” ie if we strive for the same dotcon working in alt/grassroots media.
“Be the change you want to see”
Rebooting Alt/Grassroots Media
The OMN Beta is a subset of the full open project.
Its a just the linking part. A first step to the data soup and open per2per network.
A single node will facilitate existing alt/grassroots media projects to link to each other. This will hopefully, partly overcome the #geekproblem to brining in talented developers to roll the rest out in a open way.
If this is blocked and stalls (possibility) the is away the evil of "funding" but its a many edged tool that cuts in all to predicable ways.
The BETA will roll out
* Basic content flows by tag
* Basic video player flow embed by tag
* Basic audio embed flow by tag
* Basic “blog/site/project list flow” by tag
* Basic “personal” grouping/flow by tag
Many of the existing radical alt/grassroots media sites (PGA hallmarks, #4opens) will be feed into the network (opt out) and all of the sites invited to become a active parts of the OMN by embedding sections/sidebars.
For the geeks http://omn.openworlds.info:8080