Lets look at some #dotcons from the perspective of the #4opens - Facebook
Open data – A small YES and many many NO's the is a obscured link were you can download a lot of data that facebook holds about you it's a SMALL YES. But all the interlinking and meta data that is used is hidden and for sale to the higist bidders, a BIG NO.
Open source – NO open licences for the data, its privatised. Some of the backed projects are opensource but not in a really socially useful way – the big project is CLOSED SOURCE.
Open “industrial” standards – they use um and pervert um to CLOSED
Open process – this is very much CLOSED
So 1/4 of a open for data and 1/4 of a open for source that make 1/2 a open.
Bronze 2 opens
Silver 3 opens
Gold 4 opens
Facebook is not a 4opens project.
Were is value online
Its interesting to think for a moment about how widely posts on the #openweb and #failbook are seen. On #failbook an average post on my time line might be seen/read by 10 people and a dog, a good shared post a few hundred people. On my blog an average post would be a few hundred people and a good post 10,000's of people maybe more. its easy to forget that #failbook is a #dotcon in real terms not just in idealogical arguments. The value is on the #openweb - how have people forgotten this?
EC "Cos convenience and the software works"
Yep thats why am pushing the #OMN so the is a space to do something about this.
You do all know that posting polatics on #failbook is a pointless circle of nothingness
You do all know that posting polatics on #failbook is a pointless circle of nothingness. Please stop and do something more usefull.
We have a clective Liberal fantasy in the is an idea that #dotcon can be social useful. Its not what the money (billions) was invested in. They "invested" into a silo/portal for capturing data and capturing users. Letting this "value" free is a liberal delusion in the sense it dues not payback for investment. Your talking an act of enlighten philanthropy or old fashioned nationalization to keep the value for the people who created it - the users.
We now have a problem that most of our best alt media producers are children of the #dotcon and have little or no understanding of the #openweb We need to express positive views of value. #linking #4opens etc all very basic stuff and not hard to do. I wont practical open ideas on were to start on this.
Why do I call Facebook a #dotcon
Our current online tools (for example Facebook) were built out from the worst parts of human nature. The challenge facing us is can we build out tools from the best part of human nature (an example would be the OMN) I think this is a nice challenge to have.
Why do I call Facebook a #dotcon
Its interesting to think about what shapes the small part of the social flow you see on #failbook and see how other agenda’s dominate what you see as a personal experience.
1) The financial bottom line of the corporation "Facebook"
2) The ego of the CEO and heads of engineering and marketing at Facebook.
3) The agenda’s of the investors in Facebook – this includes front company’s for the intelligence services of the US and many very rich people.
4) The agenda of the advertisers that pay Facebooks bills. The agenda’s that all the above do not wont to push – this is semantically hidden by "we cant sell adverts next to your content". That is “this is not social engineering”.
5) Anything published outside Facebook silo/portal is pushed down and things published inside Facebooks walls are pushed up. An example of this is that Youtube videos are not always embedded any-more and that #failbook videos are and auto play.
6) The people you friend on Facebook. But this is not unmediated the people who are a better fit to the first 5 points will be pushed more visible than thoughts who do not, who will be pushed down out of view.
7) Your likes and interactions will help the algorithm choice from the "advert friendly content" in your wider feed and push these posts into your news feed.
8) Facebook is clever evil, the algorithm is elastic, you can push it and it will bend. Of course evil cleaver wants you to do this because it learns how you push and how to push you back to shape the above first 5 points.
9) Clever Evil 2 that Facebook will also push though content that it cannot necessary monetize but has the intent to addict you to taking the phone out of your pocket to check every spare moment.
10) Its not only about cats and family photos it about reshaping the world so that Trump and Brexet can happen and we are powerless to do anything about this. All we can do is empower the enemy by feeding it knowledge on how to empower Trumps and Brixets. Shake and repeat, shake and repeat, shake and repeat, shake and repeat.
Human beings are by nature social creatures - we link
Human beings are by nature social creatures - we link
“The Ring slowly but inevitably corrupted its bearer, regardless of the bearer's initial intent. For this reason the Wise, including Gandalf, Elrond, and Galadriel, refused to wield it themselves, but determined instead that it should be destroyed. The corrupting power of the ring was apparently stronger on individuals more inclined to evil and selfishness: it took almost immediate hold of the greedy Sméagol as soon as he saw it, and corrupted Boromir after a few months of near proximity, while its effects were only starting to be seen in the well-meaning Bilbo after his 60 years' possession.”
On the #openweb the creation of blogging makes personal sites with in reach of a majority of people the balance between community and individual began to shift. Blogging was about empowering the individual, many geek/fashernista attempts to rebalance this failed, as each tended tobe an island, mirroring the individualism of the blogging network they were trying to link. Blogging declined into silo/portals with the growth of SEO and the resulting failer of linking that resulted from this.
In the openweb nothing stayed static, the first to secede in this bringing the social (community) back into this world were the first #dotcon 's and the most powerful grew from the worst parts of human nature:
“One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Ring
This is the shadow of the role of #failbook currently on the #openweb
How to recover from this “capturing of the commons”? One step would be to #reboot the last steps of the #openweb by fixing the balance between individualism in blogging and the community of the human condition. This is surprisingly simple to do, we need to fix the failer of geek/fashernista linking and thus #reboot blogging as a core to the #openweb. Almost everything we need to achieve this already exists, its a question of an affinity group kicking it into motion. Who is up for building links?
Let the web of trusted links grow (as this is ALL THE OPEN WEB is) and let the data (#4opens) flow over these links. From this trust building community comes back into both the online and offline worlds.
And if a Dark Lord (Mr Zuckerburg) and his minions (Mr Trump) offer you a shiny ring – don’t take it.
Where is alt-media and what are the issues in geek culture that stop it from having much effect.
There is no active working alt-tech and the open web that would be shaped by this open alt-tech is withering under the #dotcon push to enclose.
* 98.9% of alt-tech projects are obviously pointless.
* 1% are potentially useful but are killed by NGO/foundation funding agendas.
* .01% are useful but suffer/starve from a lack of geek focus abd funding.
There are some content projects in alt-media, but they have no working alt-tech to build out. All alt media relies on the #dotcons (Facebook, twitter etc) as distribution. Their websites are generally little more than branded portals, much like yahoo 10-15 years ago. The is minimal inter-operating between the different projects and almost no linking.
For the content producers a positive “alt-media” outcome is to play a role in old (legacey) media or move into the short lived dotcon news orgs. This is a complete failure in open web terms. In this we are fucked, and there is currently no path out within the existing projects.
Outside the existing projects, the solution to this is simple: the tech needs rebooting at a basic level. This is not a complex thing, being mostly social technology using existing open standards.
You can't always get what you want
Activist (media) strategy is broken
This is the state of the #stopG8 twitter account as the main convergence center is raided by hundreds of police:
Using individual Facebook accounts - who sees the content they post is decided by the advertising driven algorithms of Facebook and everything they post is sent strait to the corporate and governmental agency’s they are fighting against.
The website they have built is not only dysfunctional (it only allows corporate embeds of video all opensource or activists embeds are blocked - only google owned youtube works) it's a control freaks love affair and a re-creation of the Soviet Union.
UPDATE: the video embed whent up in the end https://network23.org/stopg8/media/video
Failbook Activist's and the hamster cage
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57471570-93/facebook-scans-chats-and-posts-for-criminal-activity/ read this and think about activism.
Why have we built all our activist networks using Facebook over the last 2 years. Leading to severe neglect and decay of our own networks. Answer please.