Threema GmbH Seriously Secure Messaging
Are a simple way to judge the value of a “alt/grassroots” tech project.
* Open data – is the basic part of a project https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_data without this open they cannot work.
– you can likely download your chats and metadata, seams to be there so that a open
* Open source – as in “free software” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software this keeps development healthy by increasing interconnectedness and bringing in serendipity. The Open licences are the “lock” that keep the first two in place, what we have isn’t perfect, but they do expand the area of “trust” that a project needs to work, creative commons is a start here.
– its maybe be technically open-source but it is the most restricted open-source you can get so give it half a open
* Open “industrial” standards – this is a little understood but core open, it’s what the open internet and WWW are built from. Here is an outline https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_standard
– it looks like it uses no open standed for chat? Not sure for encryption so no open for now
* Open process – this is the most “nebulous” part, examples of the work flow would be wikis and activity streams. Projects are built on linking trust networks so open process is the “glue” that binds the links together. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process
– looking at the github the process is locked down and not excessable to normal people, the company structure is a #dotcons so no open.
– so its 1 and ½ opens and is thus not a #4opens project so do not recommend using it.
It’s easy to become a 4opens project and join the #openweb family:
2 opens a bronze badge
3 opens a silver badge
4 opens a gold badge